If you’re looking for a healthier way to enjoy chicken wings that’s as delicious as deep fried but without all of the calories, we have just the recipe for you! These Buttermilk-Zaatar wings take about 10 minutes to prepare before spending the night marinating in the fridge. The next day, they’re baked, not fried, resulting in chicken that’s perfectly crisp on the outside while staying tender and super flavorful on the inside.
When you think of buttermilk you probably think of biscuits, but have you ever tried marinating chicken in it? Buttermilk is slightly acidic which helps to tenderize the chicken and keep it super moist. To infuse the chicken with flavor, we’ve used zaatar which gives these wings a unique, Middle-Eastern twist. Zaatar is a spice blend comprised of several herbs and spices. Since ingredients can vary greatly between brands, we recommend using a mix that uses only the mainstay ingredients of the zaatar herb (wild thyme), sumac, and roasted sesame seeds for this recipe. Steer clear of anything containing citric acid or fillers such as wheat as that is not true zaatar.
We hope you’ll give these baked wings a try! They’re perfect for football watching parties and (bonus!) you won’t miss a minute of the game while closely watching over a deep fryer!
Baked Buttermilk-Zaatar Chicken Wings
Prep Time:10 mins, Cook Time:35 mins, Total Time:45 mins
Serving Size: 2-3 wings
Calories: 448, Fat: 36g, Protein: 30g, Carbs: 4g, Fiber: 0g
*Nutritional info is for 2-3 wings + about 2 tablespoons of dipping sauce.
2 lbs. fresh chicken wings
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon zaatar
- Combine the buttermilk, olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and zaatar in a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Remove the wing tips from the chicken wings and separate into sections, if necessary.
- Place the chicken wings in a large freezer bag and pour the buttermilk mixture over them.
- Remove most of the air from the bag and seal. Refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the chicken wings from the marinade and place in a single layer in a large, glass baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then switch to the broiler and broil for 3-5 minutes, until nicely browned. (Watch closely as they can start to burn quickly.)
- Remove from the oven and serve with Zaatar Ranch Dipping Sauce.
Zaatar Ranch Dipping Sauce¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley or dried parsley
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried onion
1 teaspoon zaatar
Pinch of salt and pepper
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.