The Chesapeake Bay is well known for its beautiful shorelines, plentiful oyster harvests, and most importantly, crab cakes! In this recipe, we give the coastal staple that is the crab cake a delicious, Eastern Mediterranean twist.When it comes to crab cakes, we’re all about the true indulgence of crab which is why we use as little filler as possible. Just enough zaatar is added to give an exotic touch, while still allowing the sweet, delicious flavor of crab to shine through. Zaatar is an excellent way to spice up seafood because of its diverse flavor profile – the wild zaatar herb adds depth and earthiness, ground sumac provides a lemony tang without being too acidic, and roasted sesame seeds supply a nutty crunch.
Easy, flavorful, and perfect for when you feel like splurging a little, we hope you’ll give these a try!
Zaatar Crab Cakes
Recipe Category: Entree
Recipe Cuisine: American, Seafood
Prep Time: 10 mins, Cook Time: 6-8 mins, Total Time: 16-18 mins
Yield: 8 crab cakes
Serving Size: 2 crab cakes
Calories: 367, Fat: 25g, Protein: 23g, Carbs: 13g, Fiber: 1g
1 lb. crab meat
¼ cup mayonnaise
Juice of half a lemon
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced red pepper
2 tablespoons zaatar
¾ cup panko bread crumbs + additional for dusting
Olive oil for cooking
- Drain any excess water from the crab meat (if using canned), dump into a large bowl and flake apart with a fork.
- Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, sliced green onions, minced red pepper, zaatar, and egg to the bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Add the panko and continue mixing until just combined.
- Fill a plate or shallow bowl with about ½ cup panko. Scoop the crab mixture into your hands, about ¼ cup at a time, shape into patties, then dust in the panko.
- Shake any excess panko from the crab cakes and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 1-2 hours to firm up.
- To cook, heat several tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the crab cakes for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain briefly on paper towels. Season with additional zaatar, if desired, serve with lemon wedges, and enjoy!